Adult carcinoid and NET cancer patients/survivors and their primary caregivers are invited to attend the Cancer Services of New Mexico’s Fall 2010 Family Cancer Retreat from September 24 to 26 in Glorieta, New Mexico. This is a free educational program made possible by funding from private donors, businesses, and organizations. Due to the limited budget, this event is open only to residents of New Mexico. Interested families must fill out an application to be considered for the program.
The Family Cancer Retreat, the largest general cancer education program in New Mexico and the largest program of its type in the U.S., was launched in 2002. The retreat is held twice a year at the Glorieta Conference Center in Glorieta, NM. During each three-day program, over 250 people from 100-120 New Mexican families coping with the challenges of cancer attend sessions led by a variety of the state’s leading cancer specialists. Among the typical sessions offered are:
- Choosing the Most Appropriate Treatment/Clinical Trial
- New Developments in Cancer Treatment
- “Ask the Oncologist” Panels
- Coping with Treatment-Related Side Effects
- Accessing Cancer-Related Information on the Internet
- Patient and Family Communication
- Caring for the Caregiver
- Talking with Kids About Cancer
- Complementary, Alternative and Integrative Therapies
- Hospice and Palliative Care
- Cancer-Related Legal and Insurance Issues
- You’ve Completed Treatment – Now What?
- Meditation, Yoga and Creativity Workshops
Supervised child care and recreational activities are provided for children and teens during the educational sessions so that parents can participate in the program.
Cancer Services of New Mexico offers the entire program – including meals, lodging, and all educational activities – at no cost to participants.
To view a video overview of the Family Cancer retreat, click here. For an application to attend the retreat, click here. If you have any questions or would like more information about Cancer Services of New Mexico’s Family Cancer Retreat, please contact Mike at (505) 239-4239 or firstname.lastname@example.org