Hepatic artery chemoembolization (HACE) (also called TACE)

HACE is the localized treatment of a tumor that spars healthy tissue and organ function. Chemoembolization is used to treat tumors in the liver. The normal liver has a dual blood supply with the hepatic artery supplying 25% and the portal vein supplying the remaining 75%. However, tumors of the liver only receive their blood supply from the hepatic artery. Chemotherapy drugs can be directly injected into the hepatic artery, treating the tumor directly but sparing almost all of the surrounding healthy liver tissue. The artery is then blocked, depriving the tumor of blood supply and “locking” the chemotherapy into the tumor. The normal liver can then receive its necessary blood supply from the portal vein.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email