If my mother has carcinoid and I have symptoms similar to those of carcinoid, what tests should I have?

Only 1-2% of carcinoids are familial. If you have symptoms suggestive of carcinoid syndrome, the tests to do are urine 5-HIAA, blood serotonin, tryptophan and chromogranin A. All large commercial laboratories can do these tests and your family doctor can order them if s/he understands them, otherwise they can be ordered by an endocrinologist, oncologist or general internist. They are expensive, but often covered by most health insurance plans.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email