1. Groundbreaking research from Novartis as they develop drugs that train our immune system to detect and fight tumors. Dr. Glenn Dranoff, a cancer vaccine expert, will lead Novartis’ new research efforts in the area of immuno-oncology. Read more: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/04/20/novartis-leader-targeted-therapies-looking-prime-immune-system-battle-cancer/cV75a7dyPF4ZnoqtCQoUsM/story.html
2. Critical new research projects in neuroendocrine tumors (NETs)! A multi-year research alliance agreement has just been signed by Ipsen and Harvard University. The alliance will enable researchers to develop collaborative programs in NETs as well as in areas such as neuromuscular disorders. Read more: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150401005208/en/Ipsen-Expands-Ties-Harvard-University-Signing-Research#.VR0spJPG-f1
3. NIH study finds genetic link for carcinoid intestinal cancer. Researchers recommend screening for people with family history. http://www.nih.gov/news/health/apr2015/niddk-16.htm
4. New Carcinoid NETs app — Have you downloaded the new Carcinoid NETs app? In less than 2 weeks nearly 200 people have begun using this great new resource! With everything from a journal to medication reminders to Circles of Support, the app helps you keep track of your health on a daily basis. This free app is available in the US and Canada on Google Play and the App Store and can be accessed through the Web on any desktop computer or mobile browser. Click here for downloading instructions: https://carcinoid.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/new-carcinoid-nets-mobile-app-keeping-track-of-your-health-just-got-easier/.
5. Somatostatin receptors serve as viable markers in bronchopulmonary neuroendocrine neoplasms. Study from Germany about lung carcinoid and other bronchial neuroendocrine tumors (NETs): http://bit.ly/1yxLUui
6. Sharing the first 2 videos in a new webinar series from our Friends at CNETS Singapore: “Surgical Approaches to NETs Liver Metastases” and “Resecting Pancreatic NET Primaries.” Read more and watch the videos: https://carcinoid.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/cnets-singapore-presents-new-webinar-series-featuring-neuroendocrine-cancer-experts/
7. Carcinoid and Cushing’s Syndrome, one patient’s journey to find the answer to her symptoms. Click here to read more here.
8. Working Through Cancer Anger — Anger is a common emotional response to being diagnosed with and treated for cancer. Openly expressing it can be a struggle. Blogger Debbie Woodbury shares her perspective in an excellent post in CURE Magazine: http://bit.ly/1BQYsrE.
9. What a terrific innovation! VeinViewer Means No More Poking People Relentlessly to Locate Veins, http://www.industrytap.com/veinviewer-means-no-poking-people-relentlessly-locate-veins/27706